Friday, April 22, 2011

Jessica's Book List

Okay, so, it looks like we've all taken a week off from the blog here! (for those two people who may actually follow this blog, besides ourselves, these last few weeks have been keeping us busy with family emergencies, moves, a new business...you know...life!). BUT, this week's topic I have been looking forward to for a long time, because it's a topic that initially brought us all together....BOOKS!

My very first Sunday in our new ward here in Tampa, a few ladies came up to me and introduced themselves. One of them asked me if I liked to read and would I be interested in joining their book group. Of course, I said yes! I love books and I needed to meet some people and make new friends desperately. I have been to three meetings so far and am already slotted to host the group next month. So, I thought I'd pass along the books that the ladies here have chosen to read. Maybe give anyone who is looking for some good summer reads some ideas!

FEBRUARY
  • Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrove Manor by Stephanie Barron - Jane Austen a sleuth? Hmmm. Those of us who love to read Jane Austen know she has a knack for building characters who are very good at observing...and isn't that what makes a good sleuth? Observing, being unseen, and then understanding people more than they understand themselves? This is a cute "who done it" book and the heroine...finally...being Jane! :)
MARCH
  • A Tree Grown in Brooklyn by Betty Smith - Set in the early 1900's, this is an awesome book about a girl, Francie Nolan who beats the odds. Francie is a third generation American who lives in Brooklyn with her alcoholic father, a mother who works to keep the family afloat and her younger brother. Where most children born in poverty in Brooklyn are destined to follow in the footstep of their parents, Francies parents are determined (despite their shortfalls and trials) that their children will have a better life. I cannot say enough good things about this book! Each character is so well developed, by the end, you'll be routing for each one of them.
APRIL
  • The Help by Kathryn Stockett - 1960s...Martin Luther King, Jr., Vietnam, JKF, Hippies, Civil Rights, first man on the moon...there is one word that comes to mind when I think of this decade in America...change. Most of the time change isn't a dramatic thing...people naturally don't like it, it takes time to get used to it, there is an aspect of "unknown" that frankly scares some people. And that's just what three women from Jackson, Mississippi set out to do. Change. Change the way people are treated and how their perceived in society. This is another must read book. *Pst!* Read it quick! There's a movie adaptation coming out this August!
MAY
  • Matched by Ally Condie - Okay, so we obviously haven't meet to discuss this book yet, but, it's the book I chose and I just finished it yesterday! I chose this book because, well, I went to high school with the author! Okay, so don't get too excited. I didn't actually know her, but I knew who she was. She graduated a year ahead of me, but, small town, small high school, we all know of each other, even if we don't actually know them. Anyway....since I claim to be from Cedar City, UT (I figure I've moved around enough times I've earned the right to claim anywhere I've lived as "home", and since Cedar holds so many good and important memories for me, well...) I'm always interested in what my fellow Cedarians are doing! ANYWAY...so, if you loved Hunger Games then you'll love this book (also set to be a trilogy...and....as word has it....a movie!). Cassia is a 17 year-old girl who lives in a dystopian society. She's told what she'll wear, what she'll eat (how much she'll eat!), what her job will be and, of course, who she'll marry, or be "matched" to. Her optimal match that Society has paired her with is a boy she's know all her life...until Cassia discovers that there is a glitch in the system and it's possible that she is actually supposed to be matched to another boy she's known most of her life. The only problem is, it's not up to her to make the choice. But, is the choice that Society has made for her the one she would have made? Hmmmm. guess you gotta read the book to find out! ;)
So. There you go. I hope this helps in getting your summer reading list together! I don't think you can go wrong with any of these books. I've enjoyed reading them and I've enjoyed getting to know the ladies in my book group (though I do miss the ones in my old one, too!). Happy reading everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE A Tree Grows in Brooklyn! Man, I wish we still had a book club!!! Thanks for all the great ideas.

    ReplyDelete