Saturday, July 23, 2011

Good Things to Come....

Lessons. Trying times. Experiences. I've had a lot of them. (I'm almost 29 after all!) But I think the one that sticks out to me the most is the one I first learned during my first year at Ricks College. I was so pumped for my first year, but also so scared if all my "plans" would work out the way I envisioned them. My goal since early high school was to be a dental hygienist. I was also stressing about dating and marriage and all that fun stuff. About that same time, a friend of mine from my first job at a video store contacted me and said he was going on a mission. I was excited for him, but a little shocked. At the time we worked together, there was no interest in the church on his part. But I went to his farewell with another friend and as we were leaving his house, he asked for my address and we went on our way. I got a really great first letter from him about his conversion. Letters and letters later, he sent me this talk which will always be my favorite, because it was exactly what I needed to hear at the time and I still often find myself referring to it time and time again. It is by Jeffrey R. Holland entitled, "An High Priest of Good Things to Come." It has become such a great talk, in fact they even made a Mormon message about it. My friend sent me the cassette tape he had of that conference talk along with a written copy and I remember crying the first time I heard it! That stage of life can be so rough and so great and sometimes all you really need is just to have faith that things will all work out. Now I just got called to Young Womens, which I am super excited for. I love this age they are at and even more the age and years they are about to embark upon. How exciting, how scary, how neat! If I could do it all again, I think I would just tell myself to hang in there, keep the commandments like you're doing and just have faith because things will all work out. And, in fact, most the time, even more so than I ever could have dreamed! I mean, look at this great little group I got going here......

Best lesson for sure: "Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some don't come until heaven; but for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come."
-Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment