Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Purpose

Okay, okay. I know. It's been too long since me, or any one of use has written any blogs posts. BUT! With a renewed spirit to make this blog what it is meant to be, here I am! Being committed is one lesson that I've had to learn time and time again. And speaking of lessons....this weeks blog topic (excuse me while I just jump on into the post with no more mention of what a slacker I've been.....) is on "favorite lessons I've learned".

However, my favorite lesson isn't one that I've learned, but, rather the one that I am learning. "What is it?" You might be wondering to yourself; this lesson that I am learning? I am learning that my life has no meaning if I do not have a purpose. I know. I know. Pretty obvious, right? Well, it's only taken me 32 years to figure this one out, so, shush. ;)

This lesson that I am learning became apparent to me this past week, as I've been taking up a challenge laid down by one of the Sister Missionaries serving in our ward. A few weeks ago we invited the missionaries over to our house for dinner. I know the routine. I cook. They eat. They share a message and their testimony. They challenge or encourage us as a family to pray for a missionary opportunity. They leave. I forget about the challenge.

This time, however, it was different. This is how the night went: I cook. I realize that not only are the Sisters coming over, but, the Elders as well. I scramble to add more food on the table. They eat. The share a message and their testimony. They pull out two copies of the Book of Mormon. Touche! A challenge that I can't just forget about! Here's what I'm supposed to do: read the Book of Mormon, and as I do, highlight any and every reference to Jesus Christ that I can find. As I'm doing this, pray for missionary opportunities and, at the end of reading The Book of Mormon, find someone to give it to. I have never been so excited about a challenge in my life! Why?? Because I have been asked to read the Book of Mormon with a purpose!

So, this week, I have been reading and marking. However, because I am who I am and I have to make things more difficult, I decided that I'd take this challenge a step further. I came across a blog this weekend (sorry, I'd reference it, but, I was surfing for boredoms sake and just happen to come across this particular blog....I can't find it again!) where this guy was sort of doing the same challenge. Except here's what he did:

in GREEN  he marked every single reference to Jesus Christ or God the Father (including pronouns).
in BLUE he marked God's communication with man (remember: God doesn't always communicate directly with man....that's why we have prophets.
in RED he marked the instance when man does something to merit that communication.

Here's what my Book of Mormon looks like so far

As I take this challenge, I look at other aspects of my life where, had there had not been a purpose, I would have not been successful. I think that Heavenly Father knows this about me (obviously before I knew about it myself), and where He has needed me, has given me a purpose. What more can I say? I feel so blessed. I feel so loved. And I am so grateful for this opportunity to not only read the Book of Mormon and feel my own testimony grow, but, to have the opportunity to share my testimony with someone who is waiting to hear it.




UPDATE: Found the blog I was talking about!! Here's the link. I read a couple of his other recent blogs posts...he's a pretty funny guy!

1 comment:

  1. Cool. I may have to try that. The missionaries gave us 2 copies about 2 years ago, I am totally going to do that with one of them. (yeah, we have YET to give them out;)

    ReplyDelete