Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Rescuing Dinner


So my awesome older sister sent me this cookbook for my birthday last year. We both love cookbooks. We both love to look through them like some juicy people magazine. She went to a taping of "Good Things Utah" and this lady, the Food Nanny-Liz Edmunds, was there cooking a meal. My sister loved the meal and bought me a copy of her book. This book has really helped me get back into the groove of family dinners. I realized what a rut I got into when we moved into this house. We had more money (since we saved on ton on rent), but didn't have family dinners around our table like we used to in our old house. There is hardly space in this house for our table and so we often used the fold out table or Kate's play table, while me and Justin sat on the couch. I really missed family dinners AROUND the table. This book helped remind me of the importance of family dinners. I wouldn't say that these recipes are the most amazing things I have ever tried, but they are certainly good ones for a beginner cook, like myself. I think I will definitely give this as a wedding present in the future. It really helps go over basic cooking. She also does weekly theme nights. Monday is always comfort food, Tuesday-Italian, etc. It makes it much easier to plan dinners. Here's the link to her website in case you want a further look see: Food Nanny-Liz Edmunds

This is one of my favorite recipes from her cookbook. I can always tell when Justin likes a meal, because he tells me I can make it again. In this case, he asked when I was going to make it again.

Penne with Sausage, Red Potatoes, and Green Beans
8 oz. uncooked penne pasta
4 small red potatoes, quartered (I have also done more and it still turns out great)
8 oz. bulk italian sausage
1/4 C. minced yellow onion
2 small garlic cloves, minced (I use my garlic press)
1 C. Chicken Broth
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. butter
1 lb. fresh green beans, with ends trimmed and then cut in half (you can also you a
14.5 oz can, but I have never tried it with canned green beans)
1 tbsp. italian seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 C. grated romano, asiago, or parmesan cheese (plus a little extra for taste if
someone wants to add it on their dish)

1. Cook the pasta according to package directions and drain
2. Cook the potatoes in boiling water until tender.
3. cook the green beans in boiling water until tender.
4.MEANWHILE, brown the sausage in a large skillet or stockpot over med high
heat. Add the onion and garlic, cook until the onion is soft and the sausage is
completely cooked.
5. Pour in the chicken broth and simmer for 3 minutes.
6. Stir in the oil and butter until the butter melts.
7. Add the green beans + red potatoes + pasta and mix well with a large spoon.
8. Then add the italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste.
9. Decrease the heat to low and sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top. Stir
until it melts over the mixture.

And here is a link to this Grocery Shopping list/meal planner I have been using. I saw it in Real Simple magazine and then printed if off from their website. I usually print 2 copies and plan my meals on it (about 2 weeks) then shopping with it, crossing off items I find, then I keep it on the fridge for those 2 weeks so I can remember what I had planned. So far this is my favorite/easiest way to meal plan so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment