Sunday, January 16, 2011

Strike a Chord

I would have to say my favorite thing about music is it’s ability to change your mood. How many times have I seen my 2 year old come running in the room, twirling and smiling because “Once Upon a Dream” was playing on her DVD? How many times have I heard “Eye of the Tiger” and wanted to go for little run? How many times do I hear the sacrament hymn begin and suddenly feel the Spirit re-enter my thoughts?

So, my “top ten” list consists of my favorite mood changers/thought provokers:

1. Fix You by Coldplay. (Coldplay is my number 1. The group that I would pay an undisclosed amount to go to their concert. Same group that I will always buy their latest release. Maybe if I didn’t have kids, the hubs and my morals, I would be a groupie;)
2. Let Go by Frou Frou. (My favorite for it's ability to really help me "jump in, whatcha waiting for" seize the moment song.)
3. All you need is love by the Beatles. (Best lyrics ever written-I think so. And thank you Apple for securing the rights to the Beatles-they really *rock* my world...)
4. Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond (My mom would have given all 6 of us up just to meet the man, I’m sure. Good ‘ol Neil always makes me think of my childhood which inevitably always puts a smile on my face.)
5. Come What May-Moulin Rouge soundtrack (this is one of “our” songs, it’s on the wedding DVD and always puts me in the mood;)
6. Let Love In by the Goo Goo Dolls. (Great news/belt it out- car jammer tune.)
7. Living on a Prayer by Bon Jovi. (When I really want to belt it out in my car.....I am after all a product of the 80’s. Until Kate yells from her car seat, “No Mommy not dat one.”)
8. By Your Side by Sade. (Sometimes I want to just lay down and think to reflect. This is my suffer in silence song.)
9. One by U2. (Is there a better group, well no not really...could this quite possibly also be the most overplayed song, too? I bet. But, what I love about this song is how everyone interprets it so differently. I think it’s about breaking up and realizing that you just can’t be together.....other people think it should go on the wedding video. A song about differences, and people totally interpret it differently...)
10. Sweeter than this by Katie Herzig. (I think the first time I heard this song I was pregnant with Kate. Getting pregnant was unplanned, but only by 6 months or so. I remember thinking all the time how I was a big ball of scared and excited. After I had her and this song came on....the words really rung true....”If it gets any sweeter than this, I don’t want to know....” I just re-heard this song the other day as I was editing some pics of Avery on the computer and I was once again reminded how sweet and great my life is as a mother to these 2 little girls. I guess one of those, “we may not have it all together, but together we have it all” kind of feelings.)

So that was a complete and total hodge podge BUT that would be my current “strike a chord” playlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment